These banana walnut muffins are made mainly with flour, bananas, and walnuts. They are perfect for breakfasts, snacks, desserts, or just when you need something to munch on!
Whip up a real breakfast treat with those crunchy walnuts and fragrant banana – Banana Walnut Muffins.
If you are looking for a quick and easy banana recipe, this is definitely recommended. They’re moist, fluffy, and perfect for kids! They are so easy to make, freeze well, and also an excellent way to put those overripe bananas to use.
You can also add Greek yogurt into this banana walnut muffin recipe which enhances the flavor and creaminess of the muffins without increasing too many calories. For an even healthier version, you can replace half portion of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
How to make (step-by-step)
Step 1: Preparation
First, turn on your oven and preheat it at 350°F or 180°C. Line your muffin pan with some nice muffin paper cups so that you can scoop in the batter immediately later.
Put the sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. Mix the flour, and stir in the walnuts and salt. Then, leave it aside for now.
I usually like the walnuts a little smaller, so I’ll break each of the walnuts into 4 pieces.
Step 2: Mixing
Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until it is smooth and pale.
Add the 2 eggs one at a time, beating well for each addition. Next, stir in the mashed banana, and mix until just combined.
Fold in flour mixture prepared from before. Once everything is mixed well, add the walnuts that are broken down into smaller pieces and mix to distribute evenly in the batter.
Step 3: It’s time to bake!
Using a spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin paper cups. This recipe can make around 8 to 12 muffins depending on how you distribute them.
For decorations, you can sprinkle more walnuts on top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Recipes Questions & Quick Tips
How ripe should bananas be?
The browner and spottier the bananas, the better! You can speed up the ripening process by placing your bananas in a brown paper bag and fold down the top.
I have too many bananas but I’m no ready to bake yet
If you have overripe bananas but you aren’t ready to bake now, you can peel them first and then store them in a container and put it into the freezer.
Most banana recipes call for about ripe bananas, so you can always freeze them in groups and defrost when you have the time to bake.
Here are some of the ways you can modify this banana walnut muffins recipe:
- You can switch the walnuts for chopped pecans.
- Add raisins or dried cranberries for a little extra fruity flavor.
- Add mini chocolate chips! I can literally add chocolate chips to any baked goods.
- Add flavored yogurt. You can always add your favorite flavored Greek yogurt or just plain Greek yogurt will be fine too. Try fun flavors (like vanilla!) that would taste well with bananas.
Related Dessert Recipes
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (215g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts (90g) and more for toppings (toasted and slightly crushed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter (75g)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (65g)
- 3 banana (about 190g)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C, and line a muffin pan with muffin paper cups.
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar till pale.
- Add eggs, mashed banana and yogurt, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in flour mixture and mix just to combine.
- Add walnuts and mix well to distribute the nuts in the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin paper cups until full. Sprinkle some walnuts on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Storing tips: Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for maximum freshness. This will last for 3 to 4 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator to last up to 5 days. Refrigerating the muffins will alter their flavor and texture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 427mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g