This Italian Chocolate Bread recipe (Pane al Cioccolato) is a wonderful bread to make. With beautiful open crumb and a subtle chocolate flavor, it’s excellent for sweet sandwiches or french toast.
Combining bread and chocolate is really a genius idea whoever thought of it in the past! This chocolate bread is a slightly sweet version (but not too much!) of homemade bread using a mix of cocoa and chocolate chips.
In this Italian Chocolate Bread Recipe, I am using cocoa powder. The cocoa does leave a slightly bitter aftertaste which is great because it balances the sweetness of chocolate chips. The crumb is so soft and elastic, and it’s excellent for soaking in milk.
You can also pair this subtly flavored chocolate bread with butter, jam, Nutella, chocolate spread or just enjoy it plain for breakfast. Chocolate bread is just too irresistible, especially for families with kids!
How to make (step-by-step)
Step 1: Making the dough
First, put the bread flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a mixing bowl, and mix till well blended. Add water into the mixture and knead it to form a dough.
Now, proceed to add butter and continue to knead it until it becomes a smooth and elastic dough.
Pour in the chocolate chips. Mix and knead till well combined.
Step 2: Proofing
Mold the dough into a ball. Cover and leave it to ferment in a warm place for 40-50 minutes.
Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan. You can line the loaf pan with baking paper if you want. Knead the dough one last time, shape it back into a ball, then put it into the loaf pan.
Let it prove for 50 minutes. The next step will be baking, so please allow 10 minutes to preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C. I normally do it at the last 10 minutes of proofing.
Step 3: Bake the bread
Put the loaf pan into the oven and bake it at 375°F or 190°C for 30 minutes. Bake on the low shelf, using top and bottom heat.
Once done, remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Serve with any spreads that you like.
Related Baking Recipes
- Warm Molten-Centered Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- Chocolate Fudge Brownies Recipe (with Cream Cheese)
- Cinnamon Tea Cake Recipe
- 2 1/3 cup bread flour (300g)
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder (15g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup sugar (25g)
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 6.4oz Water (190ml)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter (20g)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (60g)
- Mix bread flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and instant yeast till well blended. Add water and knead to form a dough.
- Add butter and continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Add chocolate chips, mix till well combined.
- Mold the dough into a ball. Cover and leave it to ferment in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Knead dough one last time, shape it back into a ball, then put it into an 8x4 inch loaf pan. You can grease and line the loaf pan with baking paper.
- Let it prove for 50 minutes then bake it in a preheated oven at 375°F or 190°C for 30 minutes. Bake on low shelf, using both top and bottom heat. Remove from the oven and leave it aside to cool before serving.
- You can try adding dried fruits (when adding the chocolate chips), such as sultanas, dates, raisins or apricots.
- For the best results, I always recommend using the gram measurements with a digital scale. Cup measurements are just not accurate enough and usually cannot guarantee the best results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g