This marble cake recipe is simple to make and it is so rich, moist and buttery! If you aren’t able to decide between a vanilla cake or chocolate cake, then this is the right recipe for you.
This classic, quick and easy homemade marble cake recipe uses simple ingredients to make a soft, tender and delicious vanilla cake with chocolate swirls.
The incorporation of chocolate and vanilla cakes swirled together is the perfect combination for those who love both flavors. Every bite is rich, buttery and chocolatey! It especially goes well with a cup of coffee or tea.
The marble cake is a great snack for breakfast, brunch, parties, weddings or whenever you need a quick sweet bite!
The steps to making this marble cake are really easy to follow. You can use a mixer to speed up the process. Though a whisk will work too, you will take a slightly longer time to mix the batter.
How to make (step-by-step)
Step 1: Mixing the ingredients
First, turn on the oven and preheat at 350°F or 180°C.
Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and use low speed to mix until even. Then, change to medium speed and beat until light.
Next, add in the eggs, one at a time. Make sure to beat well after each time adding an egg until creamy. Always scrape down the sides so everything is mixed evenly.
Now add in the vanilla extract and mix well. Sift in the self-raising flour and mix with low speed. Again, scrape down the sides for even mixing.
Lastly, add the milk and mix it until well-combined.
Step 2: Making the marble
To prepare the cocoa paste, add the cocoa powder and hot water in a small bowl, and mix well.
Take out 1/4 portion of the cake mixture and add in the prepared cocoa paste.
Pour in the other 3/4 portion of the plain batter into an 8-inch lined and greased baking tin. Distribute the cake mixture evenly by shaking the baking tin lightly.
Using a spoon, spoon the cocoa batter on top of the plain batter. Next, I like to use a small knife and draw lines vertically to create the marble effect in the cake. You can repeat and make more lines to get a stronger marble effect.
Put it in the oven and bake at 350°F or 180°C for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave it aside to cool before serving.
Recipes Questions & Quick Tips
What to serve with this marble cake?
It is best to serve a marble cake with coffee or tea. That’s why this recipe is perfect for an afternoon tea party!
How to store marble cake?
This marble cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. This can last for about three days before it begins to go stale.
Alternatively, you can also freeze it, either in whole or slices. Wrap it well and it can freeze for up to three months. Defrost it at room temperature before serving.
Can I add topping to the marble cake?
Yes, It would be nice if the marble cake topped with chocolate ganache!
You can prepare your own chocolate ganache by adding chocolate chips and heavy cream in a bowl and heat it in a microwave oven. (make sure the bowl is microwave-safe!)
Heat it for 30 seconds and mix it until it is silky smooth. You can heat it again if the chocolate chip is not fully melted. Once it’s done, drizzle on top of the cake.
Related Baking Recipe
- 1 1/8 cup butter (250g)
- 1 1/8 cup castor sugar (250g)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup self-raising flour (250g)
- 4 tbsp milk
For cocoa paste
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp hot water
- Put butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl. Use low speed to mix until even. Change to medium speed and beat until light.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides for even mixing.
- Add in vanilla and mix well.
- Using the lowest speed, mix in the flour. Scrape down sides for even mixing.
- Finally, add milk. Mix until well-combined.
- Mix the cocoa powder and hot water in a small bowl to make the cocoa paste.
- Keep 1/4 portion of cake mixture and mix in the prepared cocoa paste.
- Pour the other 3/4 portion of the cake mixture into an 8 inch lined and greased baking tin. Shake lightly to distribute the cake mixture evenly.
- Use a spoon to spoon cocoa mixture on top of the cake mixture. Use a small knife to draw lines vertically to get the marble effect. You can draw more lines to get a stronger marble effect.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F or 180°C for about 45 minutes until golden brown and cooked. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- You can also change the design by alternating layers of the cake batter.
- You can substitute the self-raising flour with the same amount of plain flour, adding 2 tsp of baking powder.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g